How do I search the PPSR using a debtor's details where the debtor is an organisation?
What you need to know
- The Personal Property Securities Regulations 2001 set out the requirements for recording the debtor's name on the financing statement. These are referred to as the ‘Debtor Name Rules’. Having a set of rules such as these makes searching the PPSR easier and more reliable. Learn more about the debtor name rules for organisations.
- All spaces, apostrophes, the abbreviated word ‘NZ’ and the word ‘The’ and others are removed as part of your search criteria. This means if you enter an incorrect number of spaces or forget to include an apostrophe in a 'Debtor Organisation Search' your results will not be affected.
- The word ‘Limited’ may be abbreviated to ‘Ltd’ when you are conducting a Debtor Organisation Search.
- An ‘&’ may be used in a search in place of the word ‘and'.
When searching for an organisation that is a New Zealand company we recommend conducting two separate searches.
- Search by the incorporation number only (if you do not know the number, you can search the Companies Register - FREE); and
- Search by the organisation name.
Using a wild card
Assistance is available when searching in the form of a wild card character. A minimum of two characters must be entered to use the wild card. The asterisk character (*) is the wild card used within the PPSR system.
- Putting the * at the end of text tells the system to find all records that start with the text you have entered.
- When it is positioned in the middle of the text, it tells the system to find all records that begin and end with the text separated by the wild card character eg com* will return company, committee and community while com*y will return company and community.
Only one wild card character is permitted per field and it can take the place of one or many characters.
Step by step instructions
Log on using your User ID and password.
From the PPSR Search menu choose Debtor Organisation Search.
Enter your search criteria.
Click Submit Query to start searching.
‘Pay Now’ for your search – via Direct Debit or Credit Card.
Your User ID is a nine-digit number and your password is seven alpha-numeric characters and is case sensitive.
You must enter either an organisation name or an incorporation number. Locate and incorporation number by searching the registers at the Companies Office at www.companies.govt.nz.
The wild card character (*) cannot be used in the 'Incorporation Number' field.
The more criteria you enter, the narrower your search becomes. e.g. If you wish to refine your search by collateral type, click on the ‘Choose’ button and select one or more collateral types or a job title rather than person’s name may be entered in the ‘Person Acting on behalf of Organisation’ fields. As a general rule, it is probably better not to narrow your search too much as this may narrow your search results and not all financing statements may be returned.
You are also able to conduct a 'Debtor Organisation Search' by searching for the organisation at the Companies Office website at www.companies.govt.nz then choosing the 'Charges – PPSR' option. This initiates a search of the PPSR using the incorporation number of the company.