There are many different reasons why you might want to search the PPSR. A secured party is likely to search the PPSR as part of the process leading up to entering into a security agreement. Consumers may search the PPSR before buying an item of personal property to check that there is no money owing .
People must only search the PPSR with good reason. Strict privacy conditions are set out in section 173 PPSA determining who may search the Register. This list includes people searching:
- An individual with their consent
- To decide whether to provide credit to a person or organisation
- To decide whether to invest in, with or through a person or organisation
- To establish whether personal property is subject to an existing security interest.
There are five types of search available in the PPSR. You can search by:
- Debtor Person
- Debtor Organisation
- Financing Statement Registration Number
- Motor Vehicle Registration Number
- Aircraft Serial Number
Learn more about the search options in Searching the PPSR, including how to: